Stupid little iota of an idea

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 06:40:12 PST 2011

foobar wrote:

> Lutger Blijdestijn Wrote:
>

>> first rule of usability: don't listen to users
>>
>> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010805.html
>>

> I fail to see how that page ( which talks about website design ) applies
> to what I've said. It says that you should look at what people _do_
> instead of what they _say_. How would you apply this to Phobos' naming
> conventions?

Quite literally. The thing is, most average joe users like me don't know
what's good for them. They don't understand usability directly but rather
'know it when they see it.'

Of course it is too time-consuming / has too little pay-off to conduct
experiments for everything.

> How about this:
> Show a code sample using "iota" to users who never programmed in D and ask
> them what that code does.

Exactly, that's a very good idea.