tooling quality and some random rant

Gary Whatmore no at spam.sp
Sun Feb 13 09:18:33 PST 2011

Alan Smithee Wrote:

> > You can do the same in D using .di files.
>
> Except no one really does that because such an approach is insanely
> error prone. E.g. with classes, you need to copy entire definitions.
> Change any ordering, forget a field, change a type, and you're having
> undefined behavior.
>
> How about eating your own dog food before making unfounded statements
> like that? Trivial transliterations of DMDScript or Empire don't
> count. So far, you've only written silly Bash-like scripts in D.

Let's try to act civil here. Walter bashing is already getting old and mostly favored by our famous Reddit trolls, that is retard = uriel = eternium = lurker. I wouldn't be shocked to hear this Alan Smithee is another sockpuppet of yours, dear "retard".

I already did mention eating your own dog food. On the other hand it's crystal clear that such a task as writing a language and its compiler without any support from anyone is something only a handful of developers can and are willing to pursue on this planet. As a result D is one of the best languages ever built. I honestly wish we wouldn't question Walter's competence. He only has so much time. All this hate talk here pushes release dates farther away. We would already have a 64-bit compiler if you didn't rant so much.

 - G.W.