tooling quality and some random rant

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 10:10:01 PST 2011

On 2/13/11, email at example.com <email at example.com> wrote:
> Andrej Mitrovic Wrote:
>
>> Could you elaborate on that? Aren't .di files supposed to be auto-
> generated by the compiler, and not hand-written?
>
> Yea, aren't they? How come no one uses that feature? Perhaps it's
> intrinsically broken? *hint hint*
>

> This NG assumes a curious stance. Sprouting claims and standing by
> them until they're shown invalid, and then some. This is not the way
> to go for a new language. It's YOUR job (not yours in particular,
> Andrej) to demonstrate the feasibility of a certain feature, ONLY
> THEN can you claim how it may solve any issues. And it needs to be
> more than a 10-line Hello World. Because you can concatenate Hello
> World 1,000,000 times, D can work for multi million line projects,
> right?
>
> "But it takes time!" ... uh, yea, how's for 11 years? Or at least 4
> which D has been past the 1.0 version. How many people gave up on
> their med/large projects and moved to "lesser" languages in this
> span?

Heh. :)

I'm not claiming that I know that everything works, I only know as
much as I've tried. When I've hit a bug in a multi-thousand line
project I'll report it to bugzilla.

So what's broken about generating import modules, is it already in
bugzilla? I've only heard about problems with templates so far, so I
don't know. If they're really broken we can push  Walter & Co. to fix
them.

I know of a technique, too. I've heard posting a random comment on a D
reddit thread about a D bug usually gets Andrei to talk with Walter in
private ASAP and fix it right away.