tooling quality and some random rant

gölgeliyele usuldan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 11:01:16 PST 2011

Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> golgeliyele wrote:
>> I don't think C++ and gcc set a good bar here.
>
> Short of writing our own linker, we're a bit stuck with what ld does.

I am not necessarily questioning the use of ld (or a different linker on
a different platform). What intrigues me is: Is it possible to avoid
leaking ld errors to the end user. For instance, with the compilation
model of feeding all the .d files to dmd, we should be able to check if
main() is missing or not, before going to the linker. I don't think
supporting multiple compilation models is a good thing. I really hope
you guys can visit this issue sometime soon.