Who here actually uses D?

nedbrek nedbrek at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 16:17:52 PST 2011

Hello all,
(there are a lot of posts here!  Just getting to this one :)

"Robert Clipsham" <robert at octarineparrot.com> wrote in message
news:ifo9jd$1kt9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Having seen a post by Peter Alexander (in Re: D for game development),
> mentioning some of the issues he's hit I thought I'd post this. I've been
> in his shoes (every other time I use D it seems), and feel I should ask -
> who here uses D, and to what extent?

I first starting investigating D in Sep 2008.  My day job is C++, and I tend
to think in that.  I also like Tcl, for rapid design.

I figured a good test project for D would be a cycle based microarchitecture
simulator (that was my last job).  I've written several of them in C++.

The first stage is an architectural model.  I've made some progress on this
(although I've been stalled a while), wc gives 2495 lines across 17 files.
When it is more presentable, I will probably push it to github.

An achitectural model can be 10,000 lines or more in C++.  I think I am
maybe halfway done - so I could be seeing a reduction of 50% similar to what
others have reported.

I use a really old version of gdc/phobos for D1 on Windows (although I will
probably use dmd on Linux).  I went with gdc because I need to link with a
Tcl COFF lib on Windows.

I'm interested in D2, but at the time it wasn't an option.

I use an incremental build with Makefiles.

Hope that helps,
Ned