Qt C++ GUI library is now set to die, as a result of the MS takeover

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:02:39 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Nick_B <nick.NOSPAMbarbalich at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here is a comment by Jeff_S, near the bottom of the comments re Microsoft
> taking over Nokia.
>
> I now worry that the wonderful Qt C++ GUI library, that Nokia now owns with
> it's acquisition of Trolltech a few years ago, will now founder in
> stagnation.
>
> The optimist in me hopes that it will ported to Win Phone 7. But the
> realist in me says "fat chance". With this huge deal with MS, and Qt being
> cross platform, and MS being all about MS platforms and dev tools, Qt is now
> likely toast. Sad.
>
> Good thing it's open source. It will still have life as a separate open
> source entity, but without the paid developers at Nokia working on it, it's
> progress will slow dramatically. There is only so much slack the community
> is capable of taking up.
>
> I'm also scratching my head on this, in terms of what Nokia gets out of
> this. They are essentially trading a larger, more successful, more
> established, platform and ecosystem (Symbian) and large developer mind
> share, for a much smaller, much less successful, much less developer mind
> share platform and ecosystem (Win Phone 7 and Silverlight).
>
> original URL here
> see:
> http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/article/Nokia-swaps-one-burning-platform-for-another-in-Microsofts-silent-takeover-of-the-Finnish-phone-maker/1297438206?awesm=betane.ws_yJ&utm_content=api&utm_medium=betane.ws-twitter&utm_source=twitter.com
>
> cheers
> Nick

Stop spreading FUD.

Qt is not an open source project.  Qt is Free software (GPL/LGPL) which is
also dual licensed (commercial license) for development of proprietary and
commercial software.  Even if Microsoft was the copyright holder of Qt,
nothing would stop anyone from modifying the source code and continuing its
development.  Besides, Qt is a source of income for Nokia because many large
companies use it for their projects.