tooling quality and some random rant

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 02:54:59 PST 2011

On 02/14/2011 02:29 AM, Denis Koroskin wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 02:01:53 +0300, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Michel Fortin wrote:
>>> But note I was replying to your reply to Denis who asked specifically for
>>> demangled names for missing symbols. This by itself would be a useful
>>> improvement.
>>
>> I agree with that, but there's a caveat. I did such a thing years ago for C++
>> and Optlink. Nobody cared, including the people who asked for that feature.
>> It's a bit demotivating to bother doing that again.
>
> Many people are unthankful by nature. They tell about missing features while
> taking existing ones as granted.
> It doesn't mean no one cares about them. If no one would care, why would we
> even discuss those features?

Very often, heavily discussed designs are somewhat good. When they are truely
bad, one does not even know where/how to start critics... We just feel their
wrongness, but expressing it is hard time, even more proposing inprovements; so
that we wish for a blank page.
Good designs show their bugs much more obviously, everyone can enter the critic
dance ;-)

Denis