tooling quality and some random rant

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Feb 14 12:07:42 PST 2011

Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:10:47 +0100, Lutger Blijdestijn wrote:

> retard wrote:

>>> Can you please give a few links on this?
>>
>> What kind of proof you need then? Just take some existing piece of code
>> with high performance requirements and compile it with dmc. You lose.
>>
>> http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/wx/wxhatch/wxMSW_Compiler_choice.html
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c++.perfometer/37
>> http://lists.boost.org/boost-testing/2005/06/1520.php
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/c++/chat/66.html
>> http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/184405450
>>

> That is ridiculous, have you even bothered to read your own links? In
> some of them dmc wins, others the differences are minimal and for all of
> them dmc is king in compilation times.

DMC doesn't clearly win in any of the tests and these are merely some
naive examples I found by doing 5 minutes of googling. Seriously, take a
closer look - the gcc version is over 5 years old. Nobody even bothers
doing dmc benchmarks anymore, dmc is so out of the league. I repeat, this
was about performance of the generated binaries, not compile times.

Like I said: take some existing piece of code with high performance
requirements and compile it with dmc. You lose. I honestly don't get what
I need to prove here. Since you have no clue, presumably you aren't even
using dmc and won't be considering it.

Just take a look at the command line parameters:
-[0|2|3|4|5|6]  8088/286/386/486/Pentium/P6 code

There are no arch specific optimizations for PIII, Pentium 4, Pentium D,
Core, Core 2, Core i7, Core i7 2600K, and similar kinds of products from
AMD. No mention of auto-vectorization or whole program and instruction
level optimizations the very latest GCC and LLVM are now slowly adopting.