tooling quality and some random rant

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Feb 14 12:22:22 PST 2011

>>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c++.perfometer/37
>>> http://lists.boost.org/boost-testing/2005/06/1520.php
>>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/c++/chat/66.html
>>> http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/184405450
>>>

>> That is ridiculous, have you even bothered to read your own links? In
>> some of them dmc wins, others the differences are minimal and for all
>> of them dmc is king in compilation times.
>

> People tend to see what they want to see. There was a computer magazine
> roundup in the late 1980's where they benchmarked a dozen or so
> compilers. The text enthusiastically declared Borland to be the fastest
> compiler, while their own benchmark tables clearly showed Zortech as
> winning across the board.
>
> The ironic thing about retard not recommending dmc for fast code is dmc
> is built using dmc, and dmc is *far* faster at compiling than any of the
> others.

Your obsession with fast compile times is incomprehensible. It doesn't
have any relevance in the projects I'm talking about. On multicore 'make -
jN', distcc & low cost clusters, and incremental compilation already
mitigate most of the issues. LLVM is also supposed to compile large
projects faster than the 'legacy' gcc. There are also faster linkers than
GNU ld. If you're really obsessed with compile times, there are far
better languages such as D.

The extensive optimizations and fast compile times have an inverse
correlation. Of course your compiler compiles faster if it optimizes
less. What's the point here?

All your examples and stories are from 1980's and 1990's. Any idea how
well dmc fares against latest Intel / Microsoft / GNU compilers?