Removed? (Wikipedia deletionism)

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 17:20:26 PST 2011

On 02/15/2011 01:38 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:05:32 +0200, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> (Months ago those sick people have deleted some pages written by me in hours
>> or days. This is not nice).
>
> Wikipedia articles must prove that they are notable enough, and people
> unfamiliar with the subject must be able to verify it. Otherwise, it fosters
> self-promotion.
>
> Wikipedia has rules which may seem unfair or unbalanced at times, but they're
> mostly logical with regards to the project's integrity (and not necessarily
> usefulness).
>
> Administrators will often gladly provide copies of deleted articles.

The problem in the field of PLs is that the nature or software, and software
industry (even for pedagogy and academics in the domain) foster concentration,
leaning toward little or big monopoles. What makes a variety of programming
languages interesting, their differences, is what lets them largely ignored by
programmers, media, academic press, studies, professors,... I guess a free
encyclopedia like wikipedia is precisely their place to be, and to be found
--if any.
Superb examples of human design, construction, and invention will traverse
generations without getting a single "authorized" paper or media article
qualifying as third party source "proving" their worth to be included. Sadly
enough, counter-examples backed by hype get masses of such fame.

Denis