Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 02:26:28 PST 2011

On 02/15/2011 02:55 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Nick Sabalausky"<a at a.a>  wrote in message
> news:ijcm8d$1lf5$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> "spir"<denis.spir at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:mailman.1648.1297732015.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>>
>>> Rename size-t, or rather introduce a meaningful standard alias? (would
>>> vote for Natural)
>>>

>> My bikeshed is painted "native" and "word" :)
>>

> ...With some "wordsize" around the trim.

Not bad, but how does "wordsize" tell about usage (ordinal=index/position,
cardinal=count/length) and semantics (unsigned)?
"uint" is rather good; actually means about the same as "natural" for me. But
it's a bit cryptic and does not adapt to platform native word size,
unfortunately. I use uint for now to avoid custom, but correct & meaningful,
alias(es) for size_t. (I must have a blockage with using mindless terms like
"size_t" ;-)

denis