Removed? (Wikipedia deletionism)

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 06:34:44 PST 2011

Am 15.02.2011 15:11, schrieb spir:
> On 02/15/2011 01:36 PM, Aaron Smith wrote:
>> spir Wrote:

>>> The issue is: who judges what needs to be put? If we agree the notoriety
>>> criterion is not only not good enough, but simply bad, in numerous
>>> domains (not
>>> only PLs), then what can be used? What criterion can be used,
>>> especially, to
>>> /remove/ articles?
>>> Possibly the most interesting& earth-shaking language of all ever
>>> invented is
>>> among these ones. It is obviously hard to find one criterion, in any
>>> domain
>>> involving design, creativity and/or research, don't you think?
>>
>> If you're actively participating in language development, you should
>> at least know Factor, Nemerle, and Alice ML. The author of Cat also
>> has a strong online presence although he's not widely considered a
>> genius unlike the authors of Factor and LuaJIT and Walter Bright.
>> Slava Pestov is a real world hardcore badass developer and his Factor
>> is *The* stack language to rule them all.
>
> I do agree (and have actually read docs by Slave Pestov); but how does
> this /judgement/ of yours help and solving the issue? Or do you mean you
> should be the one deciding? If we ask true language enthusiasts, they
> would see no good reason in removing any language from the above list,
> don't you think (aside lang wars)? The same applies to the hundreds of
> articles about pokemons. And their fans are as right as us. And they can
> more easily point to external references than us ;-)
>
> Denis

Who cares. *If*, for some reason, you want information about one of the
more unknown/esoteric languages or a specific pokemon it's handy to be
able to look it up at wikipedia. They can add a "this article is about a
potentially uninteresting topic and is not reviewed to be correct" tag
if they want, but what's the point in deleting it.. it's better to have
*some* information and links than nothing.
Imagine D being a totally new and unknown language. Not notable for
their standards.. now you nevertheless hear about it and want to find
out about it. What will you do? google it? Haha, have fun googling "D"..
You'd be glad if there were a small Wikipedia article with a Hello World
example and a link to the D homepage and possibly other ressources...

It's the same for other languages.. google "Factor" or "Alice ML" - it's
quite probable that you won't find what you need.
(And if you do it is because these languages are not completely unknown
anymore).