Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 06:37:25 PST 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 09:26:21 -0500, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hey, bikeshedders, I found this cool easter-egg feature in D! It's
>> called
>> alias! Don't like the name of something? Well you can change it!
>>
>> alias size_t wordsize;
>>
>> Now, you can use wordsize instead of size_t in your code, and the
>> compiler
>> doesn't care! (in fact, that's all size_t is anyways *hint hint*)
>
> Sure, but it's not the point of this one bikeshedding thread. If you do
> that, then you're the only one who knows what "wordsize" means. Good,
> maybe, for app-specific semantic notions (alias Employee[] Staff;);
> certainly not for types at the highest degree of general purpose like
> size_t. We need a standard alias.

The standard alias is size_t.  If you don't like it, alias it to something
else.  Why should I have to use something that's unfamiliar to me because
you don't like size_t?

I guarantee whatever you came up with would not be liked by some people,
so they would have to alias it, you can't please everyone.  size_t works,
it has a precedent, it's already *there*, just use it, or alias it if you
don't like it.

No offense, but this discussion is among the most pointless I've seen.

-Steve