Removed?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:23:28 PST 2011

On 02/15/2011 07:44 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> As an aside, it's quite remarkable that such a movement and others similar
>> originated in the Capitalist world. History will tell, but I see it as
>> possible for the spirit to stay put.
>

> It's the internet that has made large scale collaboration and cooperation
> possible. On a smaller scale, it's existed before. There are many volunteer
> fire departments, and many parks that get created and maintained by armies of
> volunteers.
>
> RMS clarified free software, but there was useful free software before his
> movement. DECUS, for example, distributed the best of free software for DEC
> machines back in the 70's. It was a feather in one's cap to have one's software
> picked up by DECUS.

And this itself was made possible by the fact software /re/production costs are
neglectable compared to production ones (human competence, time & motivation).
The same applies indeed, even more since the numeric revolution, to most of
human knowledge and creation. Result of music composition has always been
(potentially or concretely, depending to laws) freely available good.

Denis