DVCS vs. Subversion brittleness (was Re: Moving to D)

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed Feb 16 08:14:02 PST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 14:51 +0000, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
[ . . . ]
> That stuff about DVCS not having a central repository is another thing
> that is being said a lot, but is only true in a very shallow (and
> non-useful) way. Yes, in DVCS there are no more "working copies" as in
> Subversion, now everyone's working copy is a full fledged
> repository/clone that in technical terms is peer of any other repository.
> However, from an organizational point of view in a project, there is
> always going to be a "central" repository. The one that actually
> represents the product/application/library, where the builds and
> releases are made from. (Of course, there could be more than one central
> repository if there are multiple kinds of releases like
> stable/experimental, or forks of the the product, etc.)

Definitely the case.  There can only be one repository that represents
the official state of a given project.  That isn't really the issue in
the move from CVCS systems to DVCS systems.

> Maybe the DVCS world likes the term public/shared repository better, but
> that doesn't make much difference.

In the Bazaar community, and I think increasingly in Mercurial and Git
ones, people talk of the "mainline" or "master".

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk