Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Feb 17 23:14:21 PST 2011

On Thursday 17 February 2011 23:09:32 Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 11:09 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> > Russel Winder wrote:
> > > Do not be afraid of the word.  Fear leads to anger.  Anger leads to
> > > hate.  Hate leads to suffering. (*)
> > >
> > > (*) With apologies to Master Yoda (**) for any misquote.
> >
> > "Luke, trust your feelings!" -- Oggie Ben Doggie
> >
> > Of course, expecting consistency from Star Wars is a waste of time.
>
> "What -- me worry?"  Alfred E Newman  (*)
>
> Star Wars is like Dr Who you expect revisionist history in every
> episode.  I hate an inconsistent storyline, so the trick is to assume
> each episode is a completely separate story unrelated to any other
> episode.

The funny thing is that Doctor Who does a number of things which I would
normally consider to make a show a bad show - such as being inconsistent in its
timeline and generally being episodic rather than having real story arcs (though
some of the newer Doctor Who stuff has had more of a story arc than was typical
in the past) - but in spite of all that, it's an absolutely fantastic show -
probably because the Doctor's just so much fun. Still, it's interesting how it
generally breaks the rules of good storytelling and yet is still so great to
watch.

- Jonathan M Davis