Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Feb 18 06:30:52 PST 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1758.1298013272.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Thursday 17 February 2011 23:09:32 Russel Winder wrote:

>> > "Luke, trust your feelings!" -- Oggie Ben Doggie
>> >
>> > Of course, expecting consistency from Star Wars is a waste of time.
>>
>> "What -- me worry?"  Alfred E Newman  (*)
>>
>> Star Wars is like Dr Who you expect revisionist history in every
>> episode.  I hate an inconsistent storyline, so the trick is to assume
>> each episode is a completely separate story unrelated to any other
>> episode.
>
> The funny thing is that Doctor Who does a number of things which I would
> normally consider to make a show a bad show - such as being inconsistent
> in its
> timeline and generally being episodic rather than having real story arcs
> (though
> some of the newer Doctor Who stuff has had more of a story arc than was
> typical
> in the past) - but in spite of all that, it's an absolutely fantastic
> show -
> probably because the Doctor's just so much fun. Still, it's interesting
> how it
> generally breaks the rules of good storytelling and yet is still so great
> watch.

One of the things that gets me about Doctor Who (at least the newer ones) is
that The Doctor keeps getting companions from modern-day London who, like
the Doctor, are enthralled by the idea of travelling anywhere in time and
space, and yet...it seems like they still wind up spending most of their
time in modern-day London anyway :)  (I agree it's an enjoyable show though.
The character of The Doctor is definitely a big part of what makes it work.)