Integer conversions too pedantic in 64-bit

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Feb 18 23:58:59 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 17:52 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2011 17:39:34 Walter Bright wrote:
> > Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > > The prequel movies definitely have some inconsistencies with the
> > > originals, but for the most part, they weren't huge. I suspect that the
> > > real trouble comes in when you read the books (which I haven't).
> >
> > Huge? How about it never occurs to Vader to search for Luke at the most
> > obvious location in the universe - his nearest living relatives (Uncle
> > Owen)? That's just the start of the ludicrousness.

The wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars is quite
interesting, and indicates why there are lots of little inconsistencies
as well as quite a few big ones.  As to the veracity of the material,
who knows, it's the Web, lies have the exact same status as truth.

> > Ok, I have no right to be annoyed, but what an opportunity (to make a truly
> > great movie) squandered.
>
> Well, that's not really an inconsistency so much as not properly taking
> everything into account in the plot (though to be fair, IIRC, Vader had no clue
> that he even _had_ kids, so it's not like he would have gone looking in the first
> place). Regardless, I don't think that there's much question that those films
> could have been much better.

I think there has been a loss of historical context here, leading to
anti-rose coloured (colored?) spectacles.  in 1977, Star Wars was a
watershed film.  Simple fairy tale storyline, space opera on film
instead of book.  It's impact was greater than 2001: A Space Odyssey
which had analogous impact albeit to a smaller audience in 1968.  I am
sure there are films from the 1940s and 1950s that deserve similar
status but television changed the nature of film impact, making 2001 and
Star Wars more influential -- again historical context is important.  I
think Return of the Jedi is quite fun and that the rest of the Star Wars
films lost the simplicity and brilliance of Star Wars, pandering to the
need for huge budget special effects, essentially driving us to the
computer generated, poor storyline, stuff that gets churned out today.
With the exception of The Lord of The Rings.

Sadly all the effects companies are using C++ and Python, can D get
traction as the language of choice for the post-production companies?

Crikey, this thread has drifted a good few light years from the original
title.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk