O(N) Garbage collection?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Feb 19 07:17:27 PST 2011

dsimcha:

> BTW, here are the timings if I remove the GC.BlkAttr.NO_SCAN, meaning
> that everything gets scanned.  Said timings aren't drastically
> different.  Something is seriously wrong here.

Languages like Clojure, Scala, Boo, etc, start their development on a virtual machine where there is a refined GC, a standard library, a good back-end, etc, all things that require a very large amount of work to be built well and tuned. D language tries to re-create everything, even refusing the LLVM back-end (LDC docet) so there is a lot of painful work to do, to create a decent enough GC, etc. The current engineering quality of the Java GC will be out of reach of D language maybe forever...

Bye,
bearophile