64bit phobos on Windows?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Feb 19 16:41:13 PST 2011

"Andrej Mitrovic" <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1803.1298161166.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 2/20/11, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>> Eveything's probably out-of-date enough to useless by now, but FWIW I
>> wrote
>> a little bit about it here:
>>
>> http://www.semitwist.com/articles/article/view/d-on-gba-nds-progress-thanks-to-oopman
>>

> Okay, I've collected a few links to get me started. Thanks for your
> link as well.
>
> Btw, D on a Game Boy? That is way too cool!

Heh, well, GBA at a minimum, which is ARM7. So it's not as if it's D->Z80 or
anything like that, and with the GB line's switch from Z80 to ARM7, typical
GB development switched from Asm to C/C++, so D isn't too big of a stretch.
And I never did get things like D's structs or classes working, or any of
the D runtime, or phobos or tango for that matter. Didn't even attempt
garbage collection (I would more likely have just ripped out the GC. Despite
its processing power, the GBA is still fairly low on memory. And so is the
DS for that matter.)

But yea, my game-development days were the primary reason I got interested
in D in the first place. Everything in the game world was C/C++ (and still
is, unless you count web-games, MS's XNA and in-engine scripting - none of
which I count), and by the early 2000's I had come to see C/C++ as an
irritating anachronism (Header files? In 200X? Really?). But unlike all the
other popular languages at the time (remember when VC's were allegedly "the
undeniable future, period"?), D was the *only* modern language that actually
had the *potential* to be used on such platforms.