O(N) Garbage collection?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 19:35:47 PST 2011

On 2/19/2011 10:21 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Out of curiosity, roughly how many, umm "characters" (I forget the technical
> term for each T, G, etc), are in each yeast gene, and how many genes do they
> have? (Humans have, umm, was it 26? My last biology class was ages ago.)

It varies massively, but you can compute the averages yourself.  There
are about 6,000 yeast genes and about 12 million nucleotides (the
technical term for "characters").  Humans have about 20k to 25k genes,
and a total of about 3 billion nucleotides, though a lot of this is
intergenic regions (stuff that isn't genes).