64bit phobos on Windows?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Feb 20 02:11:05 PST 2011

Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>> I wish someone released prebuilt versions.
>> Compiling GCC on Windows is a PITA.
>
> Windows is a PITA, period.
>
> I tried using it as an everyday OS the other week. Something that I will never try
> again any time soon...

Fortunately one can run MinGW on other platforms, even if compiling for
Windows. By using Wine, one doesn't even have to run it on Windows...

# on Mac OS X:
$ x86_64-w64-mingw32-gdmd -m32 hello.d
$ wine hello.exe
Hello, World!

However, the 64-bit version of Wine doesn't work everywhere just yet
and the 64-version of Phobos for Windows had lots of issues as well.

So I didn't make a new prebuilt version for MinGW GCC 4.5.0 just yet...
(which is identical to FSF GCC 4.5.0 afaik, no MinGW patches necessary)

But the GCC 3.4.5* version is still on http://gdcwin.sourceforge.net/
Nobody volunteered to make a D2 version, and there's no GDC release yet.

*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/BaseSystem/GCC/Version3/Current%20Release_%20gcc-3.4.5-20060117-3/

> Someone mentioned GDC on Win64. Someone has done it for D1, but I didn't bother
> merging half of the patches I was given. Mostly because they were too
> invasive/half complete. But that it can be done (minimally) is reassuring.

I made a GDC for Win64 MinGW during holidays, since I didn't want to
start the new year with the same old 32-bit compilers as in 2007...

http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=125675

It was able to run Hello World (Phobos), and Hello World (wxWidgets*)
but I didn't bother patching it more than that. And lucky I didn't!

* http://wxd.sourceforge.net/Hello.html

Once those two were running 64-bit on all three platforms, I stopped.

But I _could_ make a Win32 version of MinGW GCC 4.5.0* and DMD 1.064 ?

*
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/BaseSystem/GCC/Version4/gcc-4.5.0-1/

64-bit versions for Mac OS X 10.6 and Fedora 14 are already available.

To make a Win64 version, one need to change compiler from MinGW.org
to http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/ but otherwise straight-forward:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Cross%20Win32%20and%20Win64%20compiler
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Native%20Win64%20compiler

--anders