float equality

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Feb 20 02:32:13 PST 2011

On Sunday 20 February 2011 01:20:34 Walter Bright wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Regardless, I'm glad that I don't generally have to do much in the way of
> > math- centric programming.
>
> Why not? I enjoyed it.

There's way too much to worry about. I don't _want_ to have to be worrying about
rounding error and that sort of thing. I generally want to do whatever
calculations I need to do for a particular task and be done with it. Math
doesn't interest me enough for me to want to deal with it more than I have to to
solve a particular problem. I find the fact that you have to worry about losing
precision with floating point values and that they can't even represent all of
the values in their range horrific. It's a fact of life, and you have to deal
with it, but it sure isn't pretty.

- Jonathan M Davis