float equality

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Feb 21 02:01:10 PST 2011

spir wrote:
> "Naturally" non-representable numbers (irrationals), or results of
> "naturally" approximate operations (like trig), are not an issue because
> they are expected to yield inaccuracy.

Huh, I regularly run into people who are befuddled by the trig functions not
conforming to the usual trig identity equations.

Worse, I also regularly run into crappy sloppy implementations of the
transcendental functions that lose excessive bits of accuracy (I'm looking at
you, FreeBSD and OSX). Don has been moving std.math to using our own
implementations because of this, avoiding dependency on crappy C libraries
written by people who do not understand or care about FP math.