CMake for D2 ready for testers

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Mon Feb 21 11:35:34 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 12:40 +0100, Jens Mueller wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I don't know about upstreaming it. Certainly it would be nice. But for
> doing so I need polish it further.

Can the code comprising the D support for CMake be "packaged" up so that
it can be offerred to everyone direct from a DVCS repository?  SCons and
Waf have the tool concept to allow for this.  CMake must have something
analogous.  People can then make use of the D support with their CMake
without the necessity of it heading upstream -- though it would be good
for that to happen eventually.

> It seems that not many people are using CMakeD and there seems to be
> less interest in it. But I used it for a word cloud I programed for a
> course (see here http://gitorious.org/wordcloud). The nice thing is that
> you can rely on CMake's modules. E.g. in the above example it was
> straightforward to let CMake make sure that the GD library it installed.
> That makes it very useful for integrating a C/C++ library.
> If you do not know already, the getting started guide is here
> http://code.google.com/p/cmaked2/wiki/GettingStarted
> According to http://code.google.com/p/cmaked2/wiki/TestedPlatforms it
> was used on recent versions of Debian, ArchLinux, Gentoo, and Ubuntu
> with CMake at least 2.8.2 and dmd at least 2.049. It should work on
> Windows as well. Some people have used it.
> Recently I added gdc support which works for me. But so far I haven't
> got any feedback from other users.

Personally I prefer SCons and Waf over CMake, but would be happy to
trial CMake and its D support.  In fact the SCons tool I am trying to
force myself to work on and the CMake D support may help each other by
collaborating.

> > What about 64bit support in dmd2?
>
> You mean support for building 64bit code with dmd2 using CMakeD? That
> should be fairly straightforward given that you just need to pass -m64
> to dmd. I think by default it builds 32-bit even on a 64-bit machine.
> But I assume this is going to change once 64-bit is stable.
> If I find some time I will build the above word cloud example for
> 64-bit and report here, if that helps you.

In one sense it is as easy as passing -m64 but there is also the issue
of the list of libraries needed at link time -- or does the CMake stuff
already pull in that information from dmd.conf?

> Recently I've been a bit distracted from CMakeD development since I
> stumbled over
> Gyp
> http://code.google.com/p/gyp/
> and
> Premake
> http://industriousone.com/premake
> Both address similar needs like CMake but do not support D yet.

Are these good enough to get traction compared to SCons, Waf, CMake,
Autotools, Make, Ant, Maven, Gradle, Gant?  This is a serious question
not a troll.  There is always space for a new, better build framework to
take the community by storm, but on the other hand if they are just side
shows then it dilutes effort and progress.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk