CMake for D2 ready for testers

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Tue Feb 22 09:10:11 PST 2011

Gour wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:33:48 +0100
> Jens Mueller <jens.k.mueller at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Further I have the impression that nobody really cares. I mean there
> > _many_ viable ways to have better configuration/build support for D.
>
> Don't be discouraged...think about the future - having good build
> support is something like having vim/emacs editing-mode and (many)
> users simply expect to find one in the ecosystem of every serious
> language.

Yeah. My point is just that I don't know whether CMake will be the way
to go. I mean it works but there are more elegant build tools in the
pipeline. That's why I push it only as far as it needs to be.

> I'll try to help as soon as I become somewhat (more) familiar with
> Cmake and its 'language'.

That would be very nice.
So far we have quite decent support for
* dmd (tested on Linux/Windows)
* gdc (tested on Linux)

Linking shared libraries on Linux using the C linker is also nice to
have. This way you can use your favorite third-party C library in D.

I also wanted to test it on Mac OS X but unfortunately I do not have
access to a Mac. Looking into ldc may be also worthwhile. I did to a
certain degree. But I never got a simple program to link.

Jens