How to do Generic Programming in D?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Feb 22 16:01:43 PST 2011

Adam D. Ruppe:

> C++0x felt like a crippled, inelegant D. Yes, it has variadic
> templates, but without foreach, I had to use recursion to go
> over them. Without static if and template constraints, it was
> a mess of overloaded functions and what felt like horrible
> abuses of SFINAE.

Is this enough to make some C++ shops switch to D2? Firms that have megabytes of complex C++ legacy code are not going to translate it to D2 just because D2 has something nicer. And there are significant problems in integrating D2 code in C++ projects. The switch from C to C++ was much more smooth. And lot of people have already stopped using static compilers like C++ ones and have switched to the niceties of a virtual machine, dynamic compilation, etc.

Bye,
bearophile