Lazy lists

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Feb 23 04:13:02 PST 2011

Jacob Carlborg:

> > def sierpinskiCarpets(n: Int) = (Iterator.iterate(List("#"))(nextCarpet) drop n next) foreach println
>
> Again Scala shines with its beautiful lambdas compared to Ds ugly string
> version.

In software engineering there aren't many free things. For some of the Scala features you have to pay with a higher amount of memory used by the Java virtual machine, and with the compilation time of the function optimizations (and type system management) done by the Scala compiler. There is a faster Scala compiler, named fsc, but I don't know how fast it is for larger projects.

Bye,
bearophile