More on Rust

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Feb 23 05:49:47 PST 2011

On 10/02/2011 00:23, bearophile wrote:
> But in Rust there are typestates, so while a variable can't change type, its type sometimes changes state along the flow of the code, such state of the type may be different in different parts of the code

Hum, this typestate concept actually looks quite interesting. I need to
look in more detail, but it seems similar to some ideas I roughly
considered several times before, about having a language being able to
track which assertions are true for a given variable/value at any (or
most) given points in code.
I'm fond of ideas that could make a static type system even more
powerful (more checking capabilities), without making it significantly
more obtuse or verbose. I wonder if many improvements could be made on
this area, enough even for it to be considered a significant step
forward in language design/evolution.
Oh how I wish that a day would have 48 hours...

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer