Frustratingly D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Feb 23 11:51:46 PST 2011

On Wednesday, February 23, 2011 08:47:31 Nicholas wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> Thanks for clarifying some of those.  Something like that, but with more
> detail, should go right on the front page.
>

> That's a shame about std.xml being lost completely.  I thought maybe
> someone was working on it and might have an updated version.  std.json
> would probably work okay for small files.  Unfortunately, neither std.xml
> or std.json is geared for handling time/memory tradeoffs where file IO is
> concerned.  They just assume everything is fully loaded into memory.

Work is being done on at least one potential replacement for std.xml (as in
total replacement, no a fixed version of the current implementation). We _will_
have a std.xml in the long run. The problem is that the current implementation
is unacceptably bad, and we decided that we're going to remove it soon so that
people don't keep trying to use it. We'll definitely be replacing it though. I
think that someone is working std.json too (though I don't remember who), but I
don't know what it's current state is or whether it's a replacement or just an
improvement of what's currently there.

The current state of Phobos _is_ improving - both the code and the documentation
- but there's plenty more to do, and it takes time.

- Jonathan M Davis