Should conversion of mutable return value to immutable allowed?

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 10:08:05 PST 2011

Implicit conversions to immutable in the following two functions feel
harmless. Has this been discussed before?

string foo()
{
     char[] s;
     return s;     // Error: cannot implicitly convert expression
                   //        (s) of type char[] to string
}

string bar()
{
     char[] s;
     return s ~ s; // Error: cannot implicitly convert expression
                   //        (s ~ s) of type char[] to string
}

Is there a reason why that's not possible? I am sure there must be other
cases that at least I would find harmless. :)

Ali