"Regular Expression Matching Can Be Simple And Fast (but...) "

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Feb 25 01:04:06 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 09:37 +0100, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> The author is one of Go's developers. I wonder how fast is the current
> regexp implementation in Go.

Is there a small microbenchmark you want to try out?  I guess doing a C
or C++ / D / Go comparison is appropriate!  (Better that debating
rhetorical questions :-)  I'd be up for participating.

We should note though that the standard Go is known not to be highly
optimized, it is in fact quite slow.  This is a known state of affairs,
and is right given the evolution of the semantics of the language and
libraries just now.  They will soon though have to put high optimization
on the road map.

Of course there is gccgo which should benefit from all the GNU
optimization goodness.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk