std.parallelism: Call for benchmarks

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 17:05:06 PST 2011

Andrei asked a while back for me to motivate the inclusion of
std.parallelism in Phobos with some benchmarks.  I've been putting this
off because I can't think of many good ones.  Pretty much everything
I've thought of falls into one of two categories:

1.  A full-fledged real-world example (mostly from my thesis research)
of where I've used std.parallelism.  These are way too complicated, have
way too many dependencies, and are way too far from the kinds of
problems that most programmers are familiar with to serve as motivating
examples.  Most of them involve algorithms for analyzing
genomic/transcriptomic data of some kind and are hundreds or thousands
of lines of code.

2.  Something so trivial that nobody would ever actually parallelize it,
and that probably wouldn't parallelize well because the parallelism is
ridiculously fine-grained and/or the computations involved are more
memory bandwidth bound than CPU bound.

Russel Winder has shown a decent pi-calculating benchmark, which I'd
like to use with his permission.  Could anyone else please submit some
benchmarks, or at least some ideas for benchmarks that are simple enough
to serve as motivating examples, yet non-trivial enough to be worth
parallelizing?