Pretty please: Named arguments

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Feb 28 11:08:59 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis:

> I'm not entirely against named arguments being in D, however I do think that any
> functions that actually need them should be refactored anyway.

After your have refactored a function, I sometimes want to named arguments again. And sometimes you can't refactor an API, etc.

> (I just plain don't want the code clutter,

It's about as clutter as giving names to variables. And it's optional, you are not forced to call a function with named arguments in D (this sometimes happens in Python when the function accepts a **kwrg).

> and they strike me as a crutch to avoid writing functions with good
> signatures in spite of their usefulness in some situations),

I'd like good signatures too.

Bye,
bearophile