Pretty please: Named arguments

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Feb 28 12:40:52 PST 2011

spir:

> <OT>
> By the way, I wonder why people tend to systematically add one, and only one,
> space after ':', ',', ';' and never before. D code is not english!

You want to break English and Math rules only when you have a good reason.

In Python PEP8 is quite specific:

>    - Immediately before a comma, semicolon, or colon:
>
>      Yes: if x == 4: print x, y; x, y = y, x
>      No:  if x == 4 : print x , y ; x , y = y , x

> There is no reason to write "width: 123" rather than "width:123" or "width : 123".

"width :123" breaks an English rule for no purpose, and "width:123" is less readable, because there are less spaces that help the eye tell apart the parts of the text. "width : 123" looks more acceptable when you use it as a binding symbol. In functional languages sometimes you use ":" to tie list elements, and you use it with a space on both sides.

 Rather
> the opposite, ':' expresses here a link which does not binds tightlier on left
> side than on right side ;-)

> Same about ';': it's a separator that has no reason to stick on left side, and
> not on right side!

In D the ";" is used for purposes similar to English ones, as punctuation to denote when something (like a line) ends, so sticking it to the left is the right thing to do, because both English and most D is read from left to right.

Bye,
bearophile