Nimrod language

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jan 1 15:07:32 PST 2011

J. M. Berger:

> You can find some performance benchmarks
> here: https://bitbucket.org/jmb/shootout/wiki/Home

Thank you for the link, I will carefully read your Nimrod implementations.

> 	IMO the concept is interesting (especially the Python-like syntax
> for a compiled language),

There several other examples of the same thing (like the Python compiler I'm helping the development, ShedSkin), Boo, etc.

> but there are a lot of rough edges and development is very slow.

Nimrod seems to contain no new ideas, and probably some large ideas of D2 are missing, but the syntax and some smaller details are nice.

The authors of Nimrod seem kind of the opposite of this language designer that was famous in the Amiga scene. This person keeps trying to invent something sharply different from the languages we use today (and someday I think he will produce something very good):
http://strlen.com/programming-languages
http://strlen.com/language-design-overview

Bye,
bearophile