Who here actually uses D?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sat Jan 1 16:14:59 PST 2011

> I've done my doctoral work in D, which was a pretty large project for
> one person (I guess a few tens of KLOC).
>
> I've also hit unpleasant bugs on occasion as those you mention - it's
> very jarring. I wonder how we could improve the process to give special
> priority to issues that (a) waste a lot of time tracking down, and (b)
> have no or difficult workarounds.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to create such a system without people
being paid to work on dmd and the runtime - people will fix the bugs
they want to, you can't make them fix anything. Obviously you can
influence what gets fixed, not to a huge extent though. Ideally the
voting system would outline what needs the most effort, but people don't
idle on bugzilla enough for it to work so well. I wonder if changing the
'vote' button to a 'like' button would make any difference, if
facebook's any indication, people like to like things ;p

> Andrei

I guess I should probably apologise if I sounded hot-headed at all in my
post too - just had a rather stressful evening battling with compiler
bugs - one of those ones that seems to morph into about 3 or 4 other
bugs as you narrow it down, and each compiler you try yields a
completely different result at the end of it. I decided to give up,
rant, relax, and leave it for another day!

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/