Who here actually uses D?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sat Jan 1 16:22:38 PST 2011

On 01/01/11 22:53, Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
> All-in-all, I would rate my D-experience as a 3/5, not unacceptable,
> but not reaching it's full potential either.

I'm not sure I could rate my D experience with a single number, I'd
probably have to plot it on an experience/time graph - guess it'd look
somewhat like y=sin(x)+n, where n is just enough to tip me over the edge
onto continued use of D, despite all the annoyances...

> I still believe D has a lot of potential though, which is why I'm
> sticking with it even when upfront-costs are a bit high. I.E. I'm
> currently side-tracked working on developing and documenting a simple
> safe Reference-Counting framework that might hopefully be included in
> Tango and Druntime, instead of realizing my own ambitions of BitHorde.

I've been using D for a good few years - and I have that same opinion -
it has a lot of potential. In those years I'm yet to have seen that
potential being released though. Wonder what's missing there.

As for realising your own ambitions - I'm finding myself in a similar
situation - the more I try and work on my project, the more I find
myself not working on it as I try and improve the toolchain/work out
bugs. It gets rather stressful at times, guess it introduces some
variation into what I'm doing though. What it does mean is I spend a lot
of time using C++ rather than D though...

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/