Who here actually uses D?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jan 1 20:13:44 PST 2011

"Robert Clipsham" <robert at octarineparrot.com> wrote in message
news:ifo9jd$1kt9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Having seen a post by Peter Alexander (in Re: D for game development),
> mentioning some of the issues he's hit I thought I'd post this. I've been
> in his shoes (every other time I use D it seems), and feel I should ask -
> who here uses D, and to what extent?
>
> I'm mostly interested in those of you with 1000 Line plus projects in D,
> as that's when I've found I start hitting issues.
>
> Just to clarify, for those D purists among you... I'm not trolling, just
> curious (I wouldn't normally have asked, but now I know I'm not paranoid
> and the only one having problems, I thought I'd ask).

For a number a years, I've been using D for almost anything where I feel I
really have a choice.

I have been doing a lot of web work in Haxe (PHP and Flash), but it's my
intent to migrate over to D. The two main things holding me back on that are
the lack of a real comprehensive web-oriented library/framework that's
comparable to Haxe's Igniter (or Python's Django), and the inability to
compile D code down to PHP or Flash so I won't have to worry about any
servers that I might not be about to do custom CGI on (this issue I intend
to remedy with my still-embryonic Dax: www.dsource.org/projects/dax --
Speaking of which, what's happened to DDMD? The main guys behind it haven't
had made any updates in quite awhile. Just got busy with other things?).

I've switched from D1/Tango to D2/Phobos fairly recently, and I haven't
really had too much trouble with bugs or incomplete implementations,
probably due in big part to not using too much of the more cutting-edge
stuff. There have been some pains from bugs or unimplemented stuff, but it's
always been far better than using a language that's mediocre to begin with.

I have been avoiding doing GUI work because I'm not quite sure how far along
QtD is, and the other D GUI libs aren't really suitable for me various
reasons.