Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 22:38:49 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Ulrik Mikaelsson <
ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a side-note (and I'm clearly biased here so I hardly even take
> myself very seriously), I think the non-windows os:es, especially
> Linux, should also be an intentional focus-area. It is VERY difficult
> to compete with .NET on Windows, and somehow I don't think we'll find
> most of the efficiency-focused audience there, but if D can
> demonstrate it's usefulness in key systems components in Linux, it's
> likely to attract more curious right-minded developers. I'm not sure
> exactly how to realize this, but there may be two opportunities in
> quickly providing a lightwheight attractive desktop environment for
> the upcoming Wayland system, as well as someone finally writing a
> disk-indexing system that doesn't eat all your disk-bandwidth and ram
> during the first week.

I agree with you on this.  For example, Linus Torvald hates C++ and probably
for good reasons.  Imagine if Linus tries D and thinks it's a good language
and begins to use it in kernel development.  I don't think I need to
describe what would happen to D then.  Sadly, GDC is not in a good state
right now.