Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jan 1 23:42:47 PST 2011

"Jimmy Cao" <jcao219 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.347.1293951472.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Caligo <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I agree with you on this.  For example, Linus Torvald hates C++ and
>> probably for good reasons.
>>

> I think he hates C++ because it's messier than C.  Many things are messier
> than C, including D.

I don't have a link, but I read a post he made somewhere that explained the
reason Linux kernal is plain-C-only is because, IIRC, they frequently need a
very, very tight mapping between the source and the generated instructions.
Partly for tight control over the instruction generation, and partly becase
they often needed be be able to look at the source and know what got
generated. I don't know, but I suspect D may be even further from C++ in
than regard.