Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Jan 2 00:48:43 PST 2011

Caligo:

> Walter:
> > Yeah, I don't think Linus would find D appealing.
> >

> So why is D being advertised as a systems programming language?  By saying
> Linus would not find D appealing you are basically saying kernel developers
> would not find it appealing.

I think D is an almost-system-language :-) There are various levels of how much system level a language is. D will be fit for high performance numerical computing, parallelism, game engine development, and more. You may even write device drivers in D. But D is not currently the best fit to write a kernel (despite some people have tried twice and it's probably possible).

Bye,
bearophile