Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Sun Jan 2 01:19:48 PST 2011

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 02:38:02 -0600
>>>>>> "Caligo" == <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote:

Caligo> So why is D being advertised as a systems programming
Caligo> language?  By saying Linus would not find D appealing you are
Caligo> basically saying kernel developers would not find it appealing.

Do Linus & co. have to put label on something to qualify as
system-programming language?

Here is something interesting:

http://tommd.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/kernel-modules-in-haskell/

Otoh, I also do not believe that every VCS written in C must be ala
(whatever means) Git - Fossil (http://fossil-scm.org) is one nice
example.

For me, D looks as the most-promising general programming language
having good-enough performance and being safe-enough - iow. sweet
spot: C(++) <--- D ---> Haskell.

And yes, I believe there is still space for desktop (aka non-web)
apps. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA