Nimrod language

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Jan 2 01:58:28 PST 2011

>From that Reddit thread on Nimrod:

Andrei:

>Our initial plan with D2 was to include AST macros, but we decided to see how string mixins swim and defer macros to D3. The D forums are virtually silent on the topic of macros now, and it's definitely not because the community is being coy :o).<

You are right that lately no serious discussions have happened here about AST macros. But the causes are not coyness or because string mixins are good enough. I think the causes are:
- AST Macros a not a minor feature, they require some time and thinking to design them well, some syntax support, some code in the front-end, some documentation for users, and some time to learn to use them.
- D2 has many bugs and some unfinished parts. Most people here know that adding more features now is not right. And generally Walter and you are (rightly) adding major new features to D2 right now. Once D2 is more finished and debugged some discussions about AST macros may start again.
- Lot of people here probably are not experienced with AST macros.
- I like the idea of AST macros, they are powerful, but they add a significant amount of complexity to the language. So I am not pushing a lot for them, despite I almost hate string mixings and creating code with string snippets.

kapilash :

>The forum I was referring to had too many useless discussions about the length of the word "immutable", unnecessary arguments about D vs other languages and far too much emphasis on reddit.<

I don't mark threads as this "Nimrod language" as OT because a new language like D2 must keep eyes open on other new languages and some computer science.

Bye,
bearophile