Moving to D

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:50:37 PST 2011

Adrian Mercieca wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently mulling if I should be adopting D as my (and subsequently
> my company's) language of choice.
>
> We have great experience/investment in C++, so D seems - from what I've
> seen so far - as the logical step; D seems to me to be as C++ done right.
> I'm also looking at Go in the process, but Go seems to be more of a 'from
> C' progression, whilst D seems to be the 'from C++' progression.
>
> I am only worried about 2 things though - which I've read on the net:
>
> 1. No 64 bit compiler
> 2. The Phobos vs Tango issue: is this resolved now? This issue represents
> a major stumbling block for me.
>
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

64 bit support is the main focus of dmd development at the moment. I take it
that you would first evaluate D for a while, possibly 64-bit support will
arrive when you are ready and need it. gdc development is also going strong.

As for tango vs phobos the situation is now that most of development in the
previous version of D (released circa 2007 iirc) is done with Tango. There
is also a fine 64-bit compiler for D1, LDC. The feature set of D1 is frozen
and significant (some backwards incompatible) changes have been made since.

There isn't any sign that Tango will be ported to D2 and phobos is shaping
up to be a fine library for D2. Some parts of phobos are still in flux,
though other parts are more stable.

Perhaps you'll find this thread about experiences with D worth a read:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.d.general/45993