TDPL ebook

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 10:59:59 PST 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Thomas Mader <thomas.mader at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 2010-08-27 22:04, schrieb Daniel Gibson:
>>
>> == Quote from sergk (kovrov+puremagic at gmail.com)'s article
>>>
>>> Despite word "download" being mentioned. What safari really provide,
>>> is an "online version" of the book, not "electronic version".
>>> When I've bought paperback TDPL, I was kinda hoping to read "bonus
>>> book" on my kindle dx, leaving paperback book on my office desk as
>>> promo for my colleagues and guests. Well, too good to be truth.
>>> FWIW, I would still like to have a kindle version. Pdf is fine too.
>>
>> Has this changed? I bought TDPL in early July, registered at
>> informit/Safari Books
>> Online and could download a PDF version, which was even updated about two
>> weeks
>> later. Those versions were labeled "Rough Cuts" but whatever..
>> So I got a nice searchable (and even updated) PDF version of the book that
>> I can
>> use forever, even when the free 45day subscription expires (and I
>> certainly
>> wouldn't pay for a Safari Online subscription just to use a digital
>> version of a
>> book I already bought).
>> It has my name and E-Mail Address on every page, but this is okay, it's
>> probably
>> meant to be some kind of copy protection.
>>
>> Andrei: Please make this version available again for anyone who bought
>> your book,
>> because many people like having a searchable PDF in addition to the real
>> dead-tree
>> book. I think the way it was handled in early July (get a free 45day
>> subscription
>> and the possibility to download the book as PDF within that time) was
>> really fair
>> - although I certainly wouldn't mind getting updated versions of the book
>> even
>> after that 45day period - and useful.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Daniel
>
> I also found the book on
> http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321635361 and it seems to
> be the most viable ebook solution.
> I would like to know where the name and email address watermarks are
> printed. Do they distract the reading?
>
> Thomas

Sorry for replying so late, I must have missed your post.
See http://bildupload.sro.at/p/368007.html for an example (I hope
Andrei doesn't mind, this page has no interesting content.)
The big grey watermark in the background is on some pages (maybe on
every 10th page?), the footer with my name and E-Mail address is on
every page.
The big gray watermark consists of my name and a 7 digit number (which
I've mostly pixelated).

I don't know if the watermarks are the same in the current E-Book versions.

Cheers,
- Daniel