Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

Mike James foo at bar.com
Sun Jan 2 11:28:04 PST 2011

"spir" <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.359.1293969777.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 10:19:48 +0100
Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> Caligo> So why is D being advertised as a systems programming
> Caligo> language?  By saying Linus would not find D appealing you are
> Caligo> basically saying kernel developers would not find it appealing.
>
> Do Linus & co. have to put label on something to qualify as
> system-programming language?
>
> Here is something interesting:
>
> http://tommd.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/kernel-modules-in-haskell/

Oberon is both a system programming lang very different from C and a system
written in it that is/was rather innovating.

> For me, D looks as the most-promising general programming language
> having good-enough performance and being safe-enough - iow. sweet
> spot: C(++) <--- D ---> Haskell.

Yes. I find simply wrong presentations starting with "D is a system
programming language..." D is more than that. (And is/will certainly be more
used in other domains that in system programming)

Borland did the same miss-selling - they marketed Delphi as a database
language... :-)

-=mike=-