Who here actually uses D?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Jan 2 15:59:45 PST 2011

Robert Clipsham wrote:
> Having seen a post by Peter Alexander (in Re: D for game development),
> mentioning some of the issues he's hit I thought I'd post this. I've
> been in his shoes (every other time I use D it seems), and feel I should
> ask - who here uses D, and to what extent?
>
> I'm mostly interested in those of you with 1000 Line plus projects in D,
> as that's when I've found I start hitting issues.
>
> Just to clarify, for those D purists among you... I'm not trolling, just
> curious (I wouldn't normally have asked, but now I know I'm not paranoid
> and the only one having problems, I thought I'd ask).

I don't use D (anymore), but took some time during the holidays
to make sure that GDC and wxD works with 64-bit on all platforms.

The previous packages, from 2007 and 2008, were all 32-bit only:
http://gdcgnu.sourceforge.net/ ("FSF" GCC)
http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/ (Apple GCC)
http://gdcwin.sourceforge.net/ (MinGW GCC)

This incidentally involved upgrading Mac from gcc-4.0 to gcc-4.2
and upgrading Win from Win32 to Win64, but now both of those work:

i686-apple-darwin10-gdc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 20070719
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gdc (GCC) 4.5.1 20100731

For Mac OS X it also involved upgrading GUI from Carbon to Cocoa,
which included upgrading from wxWidgets 2.8 to wxWidgets 2.9...

hhttp://wxd.sourceforge.net/  (GUI)

And after the release of Fedora 14, LDC support was also added to
Code::Blocks in addition to the previously existing GDC and DMD.

http://www.codeblocks.org/    (IDE)

This also marks the fourth anniversary, from the first release:
http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=46121

I was also mainly interested in using D to make games with (SDL/GL),
and as a programming language offering an upgrade from C and Java.

--anders