Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?)

Travis Boucher boucher.travis at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 02:06:58 PST 2011

On 11-01-02 03:35 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> bearophile wrote:
>> But D is not currently the best fit to write a kernel
>
> Based on what?

Currently the issues I see with D in kernel land is a fat runtime and
type system.  Although you can reduce the runtime requirements, you end
up losing alot of features and might as well be writing in C at that
point anyway.

I don't think D as a language is a bad fit for a kernel (conceptually I
think I'd be a great fit for a kernel).  I think the bigger issues are
the current state of the D+druntime implementations that are problematic.