Less commas

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 04:55:58 PST 2011

2011/1/2 Peter Alexander <peter.alexander.au at gmail.com>:
> That really surprises me that it's a common bug. Isn't it obvious that ! has
> higher precedence than &? Or have I totally misunderstood the cause of the
> bug?
Assembler is "obvious". People don't always get that right either.

The purpose of a higher-level language IMO, is to make it easier for
the developer to express his/her intentions, and pitfalls like this
should be avoided.

IMHO, the most important job of a high-level language is to encourage
good programming practices. There's a reason why people aren't
seriously using Brainfuck. It's not because it's not turing-complete,
it's because it's simply difficult to get right.

There's also a reason why "object oriented" languages were invented.
It's not because you can't do object-oriented code in C, it's because
object orientation in an object-oriented language is easier and more
readable.

Programming languages is all about encouraging preferred models.